The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has permitted modernized public utility Jeeps to operate once again. For now however, since Metro Manila is still under general community quarantine, the said modern PUJs are only allowed to ply 15 routes.
This was announced on June 19, 2020 via an LTFRB memorandum circular indicating that modern PUJs have already complied with what’s being required by the Omnibus Franchising Guidelines. Also listed in the memorandum circular are specific operators who have complied the aforementioned requirements.
These aforementioned operators already have been granted a Provisional Authority to operate in Metro Manila, with some also allowed to enter the Metro from adjacent provinces. These operators have also been granted a Certificate of Public Convenience or CPC.
For more information about the aforementioned memo, you can also visit the LTFRB official website
“The resumption of PUJ operations in 15 routes in Metro Manila is part of our calibrated response to restore mass transportation in Metro Manila and in the adjacent provinces as we transition into new normal, taking into consideration the strict health protocols being enforced to prevent the spread of COVID-19,” LTFRB Chairman Martin Delgra III said.
From that statement, we can expect that more means of mass public transportation will be activated once again in the coming weeks. That is, if these are abiding by the strict health protocols to prevent the further spread of COVID-19.
As of June 22, only 308 modern jeepneys are authorized to ply Metro Manila under these routes:
- Novaliches – Malinta via Paso de Blas
- Bagumbayan Taguig – Pasig via San Joaquin
- Fort Bonifacio Gate 3 – Guadalupe-Market Market-ABC Loop Service
- Pandacan – Leon Guinto
- Quezon Avenue – LRT 5th Avenue Station
- Cubao (Diamond) – Roces Super Palengke
- EDSA Buendia-Mandaluyong City Hall via Jupiter, Rockwell
- Divisoria-Gasak via H. Lopez
- Punta-Quiapo via Sta. Ana
- Boni Pinatubo – Stop and Shop, vice versa
- Boni Robinson’s Complex-Kalentong/JRC vice versa
- Nichols-Vito Cruz
- Filinvest City Loop
- Alabang Town Center (ATC)-Ayala Alabang Village
- Vito Cruz Taft Avenue-PITX Loop Service
As we’ve said before, the LTFRB will be opening more routes on June 24, 2020 which includes:
- Bagong Silang – SM Fairview
- Malanday – Divisoria via M.H. del Pilar
- Parang, Marikina – Cubao
- Eastwood, Libis – Capitol Commons
- Gasak – Recto via Dagat-dagatan
- PITx – Lawton
- Alabang – Zapote
- PITX – Nichols
- PITX – SM Southmall
Routes that will open on June 26, 2020:
- Quirino Highway – UP Town Center
- SM Fairview – Commonwealth via Regalado Ave.
- QMC Loop
- Tikling – Binangonan
- Antipolo – Pasig via East Bank Road
- Rosario – Pinagbuhatan Pasig
- West Aveune – P. Noval via Del Monte
- Biñan – Balibago via Manila South Road
- Tramo – Sucat
- San Isidro – Congressional Junction Dasmarinas
Apart from the Omnibus Franchising Guidelines, modern jeepneys operating during the general community quarantine must have insurance, must be equipped with a global navigation satellite system, and must allow for cashless transactions. In addition, modern jeepneys are required to display the proper fare matrix, carry 50 percent of total passenger capacity, and both the driver and the passengers must use a facemask at all times.
That's a lot of routes, but will the number of modern PUJ's meet the massive demand for public transpo?
As for the fares, non-air conditioned modern PUJs will have a minimum fare of Php 11 for the first four kilometers, while air conditioned modern PUJs will also have a minimum of Php 11 but a higher Php 1.80 for the succeeding kilometers.
For more transportation, and automotive news, keep reading here on Philkotse.com.
- DOTr clarifies that the PUJ modernization plan will still continue Nov 27, 2019
- Updates on the proposed Jeepney Modernization plan Oct 10, 2019
- PUVMP news: Isuzu Philippines is offering modernized Jeepneys Aug 22, 2019
- The Future of Jeepneys in the Philippines: Why it needs an upgrade Aug 22, 2019
- PUJ modernization not a program against jeepneys May 10, 2017