1. The NLEX connector is on schedule
The Department of Public Works and Highways has announced that the expressway segment connecting the North Luzon and South Luzon Expressways is still on track to be completed by 2020.
This road will connect the two highways, beginning at the Metro Manila Skyway Stage 3 located at PUP Sta. Mesa in Manila, and terminating at the new Caloocan Interchange on C3 Road in Caloocan City.
A map of the NLEX Connector road project. [Source: Primer.com.ph]
Once completed, the NLEX connector segment is projected to reduce the travel time between NLEX and SLEX by 60%. That translates to about 20 minutes, significantly shorter than the current 60-minute travel time.
Apart from reducing traffic, another significant benefit of the link is that it will provide better access to the Manila's ports, as well as the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and Clark International Airport, which is also expected to improve economic growth in Manila and adjacent cities.
2. DMCI to start working on the NLEX connector project
Another key development is that DM Consunji Inc. or DMCI has been awarded a PhP 8 billion contract for the critical first phase of the said project. This initial segment of the connector road will stretch from Grace Park, Caloocan to España St., in Sampaloc, Manila.
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar together with DMCI executives during the contract awarding ceremony
>>> Update more:
- LRT-2 to get three new stations by around 2023.
- CALAX to commence partial operations by end of the month.
The second phase will run from España, Manila to PUP in Sta. Mesa, and is set to be completed around March of 2020. For this second phase, however, another contractor will have to be appointed.
All in all, the NLEX connector road project, once completed, will span a total of 8 kilometers, with a project cost of around PhP 8 billion.
For the latest automotive and motoring-related news, keep reading Philkotse.com.
- MPTC prepares for Undas 2019 Nov 01, 2019
- List of closed and rerouted roads for UNDAS and other related news Oct 31, 2019
- DPWH to widen Lake Sebu Road Oct 21, 2019
- Aguinaldo-Daang Hari Flyover is now open and other traffic related news Oct 18, 2019
- Latest update: Toll hike looms for CAVITEX users Oct 17, 2019