1. The DPWH starts to widen Lake Sebu Road
If you’ve ever been to South Cotabato, chances are you’ve travelled along Lake Sebu, a natural body of water that's recognized by the government as one of the country's important watershed areas. Apart from its importance in environment and irrigation, Lake Sebu is also a local tourist destination, with several waterfalls, zipline courses and other adventure activities attracting tourists in droves. As a result, roads leading to and from Lake Sebu often experience heavy traffic, especially during summer vacation when tourist arrivals are at its peak.
The current road is a typical two-lane thoroughfare that you see in provinces
As such, the Department of Public Works and Highways is undertaking a project to widen Lake Sebu Road and expand its capacity as a tourism road, at a projected cost of PhP 95 million under the 2019 General Appropriations Act.
The upgrade entails the cementing of additional lanes on both sides of the road, turning it from a two-lane into a four-lane thoroughfare. Other necessary components will also be put in place, such as slope protection, culverts, guard rails, and the application of pavement markings.
According to Eddie Amir, who heads the DPWH's 1st District Engineering Office in South Cotabato, the project covers a total of 9.2 kilometers of the Surallah-Lake Sebu-Maitum road located in Barangay Colonggulo, Surrallah. The project is expected to be completed by the first quarter of 2020.
Take a look at the natural beauty of Lake Sebu. No wonder tourists flock to this place
>>> Check out:
- DPWH opens Laguna Lake Highway’s 2-lane segment in Taguig.
- DPWH broke ground the P458-million project to widen Lawton Avenue.
2. Cooperating with the DOT
As we’ve said, the Lake Sebu area is brimming with tourist attractions. There are three lakes and seven waterfalls that you can visit for leisure, or when you're simply itching to go outdoors. The road improvement project is part of the cooperation between the DPWH and the Department Of Tourism, under the Tourism Road Infrastructure Project Prioritization Criteria, which aims to boost access to these tourism sites and other destinations in and around Southern Cotabato.
The widening of Lake Sebu Road is a joint effort by the DPWH and the DOT
For the latest automotive news, keep reading Philkotse.com.
- Aguinaldo-Daang Hari Flyover is now open and other traffic related news Oct 18, 2019
- Cebu province recognizes that it has a traffic crisis Oct 18, 2019
- LGU road clearing operations validated by DILG Oct 13, 2019
- Commuter group appeals to authorities to address LRT 2's problems Oct 12, 2019
- LGUs are not yet fully compliant to DILG Road Clearing ops as of yet Sep 18, 2019