CALAX to commence partial operations by end of the month

Updated Apr 02, 2021 | Same topic: Highlights of the Week

DPWH to open a portion of the CALAX on Oct 30 in time for Undas, and other highlights of the week. Keep reading for more!

1. CALAX to partially open on October 30

The first 10 kilometers of the anticipated Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CALAX) will be formally opened for public use by the end of the month, on track with government pronouncements.  

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), together with Metro Pacific Works and Tollways Corporation (MPTC) have conducted their final inspection on this stretch of road, in preparation for All Saints' Day. This portion of CALAX connects Mamplasan and Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Road, with entry and exit points at Biñan, Laguna, and Mamplasan. 

DPWH secretary Mark Villar had earlier assured the public that the initial CALAX segment will be usable by October 30, adding that the entire CALAX project is currently 90% finished, with the remaining 10% being fast-tracked for completion.    

CALAX in the midst of construction

CALAX is expected to reduce traffic congestion in the Southern area, especially with the coming Undas holiday.

The partial opening of the CALAX coincides with Undas, a holiday traditionally associated with monstrous traffic jams people flock to the provinces to pay respects to their dead. The project is expected to greatly help in managing the expected traffic congestion. 

>>> Read more: How will the MPTC plan tollways program for Holy Week 2019?

2. Revilla proposes “Rescue-in-tandem” emergency responders 

Sen. Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr. has filed Senate Bill No. 1120 or the Motorcycle Medical Emergency Responder Act, mandating all private and public hospitals and other medical institutions to provide “motorcycle medical emergency first responders”. This aims to expand health care coverage and improve response times of emergency responders in the field.

In filing his proposal, Sen. Revilla cites how emergency responders on ambulances are often delayed by traffic jams on a daily basis, resulting in patients dying before they can receive adequate medical attention. Motorcycles, he says, can weave through traffic more easily on account of their smaller size, which means emergency personnel can respond to incidents faster.  

Using adventure or dual-sport bikes can also benefit responders operating in rural or far-flung areas, which typically have rough roads that are inaccessible to bigger four-wheeled vehicles.   

>>> Check out: Cebu province recognizes that it has a traffic crisis.

A first aid responder riding a motorcycle

A motorcycle-riding emergency responder in Israel.  

3. Metro Manila hospitals get new ambulances

Several hospitals in Metro Manila became the recipients of 45 brand-new Nissan Urvan N350 vans from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office or PCSO, converted into Type-2 Advanced Life Support Units.  

45 PCSO ambulances based on the Nissan Urvan NV350

These new ambulances are ready for deployment, equipped with advanced medical equipment

PCSO Chair Anselmo Simeon Pinili and General Manager Royina Garma were present at the turnover ceremonies held at Camp Crame last October 16. Also present during the event were PNP Directorial Staff Chief Maj. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, Presidential Security Group Commander Brig. Gen Eriel Niembra, and Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center Chief II Dr. Gerardo Aquino Jr.

The donation is part of the PCSO's program to better equip government hospitals, government units, health offices and other medical facilities all over the Philippines so that they can better accommodate the needs of patients.

For more automotive news, traffic news and the latest releases, keep reading

Cesar G.B. Miguel

Cesar G.B. Miguel


Cesar Guiderone B. Miguel was born and raised in Iligan City, Lanao Del Norte. He graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts in English degree from Mindanao State University - Iligan Institute of Technology. He previously worked as a freelance writer for various websites, as a member of the Iligan City Disaster Risk Reduction Management's training staff, and as a medical sales representative.


View more