Nearly six years after it broke ground, the Skyway Stage 3 has been opened to the public, albeit partially. The 14-km project by San Miguel Corporation (SMC) aims to reduce travel time between two of the country’s major tollways, the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) and the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX).
Skyway Stage 3 Quick Look: 22-minute drive from NAIAX to Balintawak
The infrastructure was originally on track to be fully opened by the end of 2020, had the project not been hampered by numerous delays. There’s the prolonged work stoppage brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, which set back essential phases of the project such as concrete curing and asphalt laying.
Monsoon rains further affected the timetable, as well as a huge fire in Pandacan early last year that caused a section of the road to collapse. It would be months before the affected portion was repaired.
Skyway Stage 3 is expected to be fully operational by January 14, 2021
Now that the new Skyway extension is usable, motorists can expect to pass through free of charge until January 29, 2021. The infrastructure is on a dry run of sorts, with only a handful of exits operational as yet. The following is a list of every access point along the Skyway that is currently passable to the motoring public as of this writing:
- Calamba temporary 2-lane steel ramp along the Alabang Viaduct southbound exit and northbound entrance, exclusive to Class 1 vehicles
- South Station (Alabang-Zapote) southbound and northbound entrance
- Hillsborough southbound exit and former northbound entrance
- Sucat (Dr. A Santos) southbound exit and northbound entrance
- Bicutan (Doña Soledad) southbound exit and northbound entrance
- NAIA Sales Interchange
- Magallanes northbound exit and southbound entrance
- Don Bosco northbound exit, accessing Don Bosco Technical Institute and Chino Roces Ave. (Pasong Tamo)
- Amorsolo northbound exit and southbound entrance
- Buendia (Gil Puyat) northbound entry and southbound exit
- Quirino northbound exit and future northbound entrance
- Plaza Dilao southbound entrance and future southbound exit
- Quezon Avenue northbound and southbound entrance and exit
- NLEX Balintawak northbound exit and southbound entrance
Other entry and exit ramps for the Skyway Stage 3 are currently under construction, with operation targeted by January 14, 2021. SMC is also further extending the Skyway from Alabang South Station to Susana Heights, with the project expected to be completed by February 2021.
Count on more traffic infrastructure updates at Philkotse.com.
Joseph Paolo Estabillo