SUV is trending on vehicle chart. Here in the Philippines, an SUV is perfect because of high ground clearance and can pass through floods. Unlike those with lower clearance, they are the best reasons why an SUV is the best option for Filipino motorists.
1. Is an SUV the best choice over other options?
Let’s face it; driving on Metro Manila’s streets is a jungle that many drivers pass through every day going to work and back! These conditions wear down even roadworthy cars, how much more other cars? Many conditions will test the overall maintenance and roadworthiness of cars, not heavy duty cars will be taxed to the limit! Filipino motorists might see the SUV as the best option! An SUV is made to take punishment than other cars on the road! If it were other vehicles; they are more durably made. With high clearance and bigger bumpers that protect it from damage. Between a compact and a SUV; it’s no contest and an SUV will do better than smaller cars.
Motorists don’t like potholes and it’s a major pain, and they seem to pop up anywhere. Potholes and other inconveniences can damage the undercarriage of most cars too. But, the SUVs with high clearance won’t be a problem on rougher roads.
Filipino motorists might see the SUV as the best option
Flood damage the cars parts and electrical, especially the computer box! Getting caught in flooded streets will not be a problem. Most cars would just conk out, but SUVs have a good chance of escaping the flood without getting water in the exhaust pipe too!
Driving in these conditions can be a pain; keeping your SUV in top shape should be done. Factors like accidental damage, wear and tear, potholes and flood damage are the best reasons why an SUV is the best option better than other vehicle types.
>>> View more: Sedan or SUV: Which is better for your family?
2. What to consider when buying an SUV?
Before anything else, just remember some SUVs are compact and some are big monsters, so better be clear about the best reasons why an SUV is the best option to get! Here are other relevant points to consider too.
2.1. All-wheel-drive or four-wheel drive
These drive types are useful for most road terrain and conditions, but it can't be used for all road conditions. City driving versus country road will be most suited on the drive available.
>>> Read also: 4WD vs AWD: Getting a grip on the road
2.2. Class of SUV
SUV’s come in several sizes but fuel economy shrinks as it gets bigger. Middle-sized SUVs have enough space, power, and is almost like a minivan.
Large SUVs have power, mobility, performance, and enough cargo space just like a large truck! For the motorist who wants everything that other cars don’t have, this the perfect choice.
SUV’s come in several sizes but fuel economy shrinks as it gets bigger
2.3. Safety features
Added into most SUVs are safety features that make them preferred cars. Now, here are some safety features that are found in SUVs.
- SUVs can survive because of their robust frame unlike other cars, and big SUVs protect the passengers better than compact SUVs.
- Nearly all SUVs have dual airbags, side-head protecting air-bags for extra safety.
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) will reduce rolling with controlled brake application, that keeps it under control.
- Traction Control (TC) helps in keeping the SUV straight on slippery roads.
- Rear backing sensors and a wide-angle video cam with a screen inside which is more reliable for backing up! These are standard on high-end SUVs, for enhanced safety when backing.
- Most SUV’s can seat more people, with a collapsible or foldable seat for converting the rear bay for cargo.
Keep in mind that not all features will be found in most SUVs but more premium SUVs will have most of these features. An SUV is a good investment; because it addresses safety, convenience and comfort but fuel efficiency is a toss-up at most.
SUV Buying Guide | Consumer Reports
>>> Click here to find more helpful car buying tips on Philkotse.com
3. Best reasons why SUVs are the better option
No argument can be used to counter the fact that SUVs the best reasons why an SUV is the best option is very obvious when compared to other cars, on the road and all the problems with everyday motoring.
1. More than often, smaller cars have more advantages like easy parking, or moving in or out the lanes on roads. But, consider that we spend much time in traffic, and a cramped car (plus other immediate personal needs) is not convenient. SUVs offer more space to kick around and not as cramped too (unless it’s a compact SUV).
2. Smaller cars and other vehicles aren’t as tough as mid-sized or large SUVs when it comes to collisions. The chance of surviving a crash is increased when in an SUV, but there are still arguments against.
In floods, a compact car might be seen floating like a canoe, but an SUV has a better chance of crossing flood with less damage
3. Consider an SUV a suit of motorized armor and it has many safety features to prevent rolling, skidding, and with dual and side air-bags for safety too! The chassis is strengthened and made to protect the occupants.
4. The higher ground clearance will provide more visibility and keep the undercarriage higher than most cars! In floods, a compact car might be seen floating like a canoe, but an SUV has a better chance of crossing flood with less damage.
5. Mobility over most terrain is better with the 4WD or AWD of SUVs compared to cars that don’t have it. A car is limited to driving on most paved roads but will have hard time when driving on any other terrain.
Mobility over most terrain is better with the 4WD or AWD of SUVs compared to cars that don’t have it
To sum it up; an SUV is more capable than most cars because it is made for going anywhere, that wheels can go! But, despite this, there have been debates about why an SUV is just like the outdated muscle cars of yesteryears. Lets’ move onto the next topic!
4. SUV is an outdated dinosaur compared to newer cars
Not everyone would agree that the best reasons why an SUV is the best option and there are arguments that point it out. Yes, the SUV has these advantages but it comes at a cost that conscientious buyers might take note of!
- The SUV has bad fuel mileage when compared to other cars, especially the compact car. Better and efficient engines for SUVs are being developed to correct it.
- The SUV is a source of greenhouse gases that cause global warming and is a worldwide phenomenon.
- Widespread traffic “Armageddon” and more cars make traffic worse! Owning an SUV, especially the mid-sized to large ones are vehicles that take much space!
5. Conclusion: Is an SUV right for you?
Is it agreed that the best reasons why an SUV is the best option for many Filipino motorists are valid points? Or it’s not that valid at all. An SUV is the best option despite its other drawbacks but at the end of the day, comfortable driving is important. The SUV comes with premium features, but that really depends where it’s a perfect for anyone.
Is an SUV right for you?
>>> Find useful advice from Philkotse.com before buying an SUV:
Norjan Ismail Abbas