When driving day in and out, wouldn’t it be nice to chill out in a good option while waiting for traffic to move? Read the post of best cars to be riding when stuck in Manila traffic by Philkotse.com.
Everyday motorists who got to work in Makati or anywhere in the metro to work, will know the horror of waiting several hours in traffic every day! But let’s face it and it better to get stuck in your own car that a taxi or any other PUV right? If getting stuck in traffic is inevitable and unavoidable here are some ideas that might help relieve the stress.
Do these things and then hitting two birds with one stone maybe possible. Just keep in mind that any form of distracted driving is not safe and avoid doing anything while moving.
- Try to carpool with co-workers to defray fuel expenses and the company would be good.
- Down an audiobook and play it while in traffic to while away the time.
- Get any gadget like any HUD device that can project movies and shows. Take note that it must be legal and follows MMDA rules for such devices.
- If the touchscreen can mirror any mobile then stream from there. But avoid distracted driving when doing such activities, except when the traffic doesn’t move anymore.
- Its old-style but bring your favorite paperback and read it when traffic is at a total standstill.
Everyday motorists who got to work in Makati or anywhere in the metro to work, will know the horror of waiting several hours in traffic every day
Here are suggested activities that can be done. Without giving the MMDA an excuse to blame anyone for distracted driving.
>>> These articles may also be helpful for you to survive traffic jam:
- 8 things you can do while stuck in traffic in the Philippines
- Beginner’s guide to defensive driving in the Metro
I. Features that a car should have if getting stuck in traffic
Cars to be riding when stuck in Manila traffic will have these features that make driving easier and tolerable.
1. An automatic transmission is the best for traffic.
Driving with AT is much better than with stick shift. Learn more about the benefits of driving an AT during heavy traffic.
2. A car should be bigger than a sub-compact.
Most sub-compacts have the worst elbow room, and it can be very uncomfortable too.
Cars to be riding when stuck in Manila traffic will have these features that make driving easier and tolerable
3. The AC is cool.
When in traffic the AC needs to be at its best. The best AC should be a dual type, not just a manual type. There must be a recirculating function to keep the smells out.
4. Seats must be soft and comfy.
The best car seats must be supportive and should be made of a nice fabric too. There should be headrests as standard equipment for supporting the neck.
5. Enough trunk space is important.
It’s better to have storage for everyone’s stuff; instead of carrying everything on their laps.
These pointers make it easier for both driver and occupants, to survive the ordeal of everyday traffic.
II. Some cars you’d rather be stuck in during traffic…
Now the best part wherein, the best cars to be riding when stuck in traffic in Manila is listed one by one. Just remember this choice is relative so keep an open mind. Here we go and let’s find out then. Maybe these cars will be the next one in anyone’s list! All options will have automatic transmission and sub-compacts won’t be included in the list.
1. Suzuki APV
The APV made it into the list primarily because it can seat seven people and the seating position is relatively comfortable compared to smaller sub-compacts.
- It has an AT that makes it significantly better to drive in the traffic. Spending so many hours shifting from pedal to clutch, and brake is not fun at all.
- Bigger than a sub-compact; so it’s not a sardine can affair for five people inside it.
- The AC is not the best, but there is a least. The open cabin makes it easy for cold air to circulate.
- Don’t expect much other than standard seating material, but still have a better seating position.
- Everyone can place stuff inside with enough room.
It has an AT that makes it significantly better to drive in the traffic
Getting stuck in snail-paced traffic is better in this mid-sized SUV. Better interiors and everything else than less expensive options too. This unit is a good ride to get, and it’s an SUV that's affordable.
- Equipped with AT transmission and is a doll to drive because of the taller riding height.
- A mid-sized SUV that seats about 5 people comfortably with better contour seats and the seating position is far better.
- A very capable AC that will keep everyone comfortable inside.
- Soft and velvety materials are used for the seats, so it trumps vinyl and other plastic-like seating material anytime. The seats look presentable and not too cheap inside the cabin. It feels good to feel pampered and not feel like seating in an entry level car interior.
- No problem with putting everything inside because it has enough room for extra stuff.
This unit is a good ride to get, and it’s an SUV that's affordable
This AUV is a practical and no-fuss vehicle and nothing more. Don’t expect any special extras from it because it’s an FX derivative, except that it is a tolerable AUV to get stuck in traffic.
- A big letdown and it is a manual transmission, and that isn’t cool in everyday day stop and go traffic.
- It excels because it can seat more people comfortable.
- The AC is standard and is not equipped with more expensive options than it.
- The seats are covered by either leather or fabric, but the seats are very standard only. With standard headrests to support the neck and ordinary bench seats.
- A big cavernous cargo bay for extra passengers or bags.
This AUV is a practical and no-fuss vehicle and nothing more
4. Honda BRV
If money is no object; then consider this 1.5 L compact to drive while going through the daily grind of horrendous traffic. If the daily grind will just be hell, why not consider this and have a sweet deal?
- Equipped with AT transmission that is perfect for long drives or the grind of stalled or stop and go traffic.
- It seats five people inside and has one of the better cabin amenities on the list. Easily outclasses the APV and Adventure hands down effortlessly.
- One of the better AC options that are on the list. The AC should be on par with other expensive options as well.
- The seating is classy and comfortable with seats that mold into the body. Forget about inferior bench seating when this is like the Ritz hotel.
- Pack everything inside that’s needed without a lack of space.
If the daily grind will just be hell, why not consider this and have a sweet deal?
The Ford Ecosport has been chosen because some like budget lunches. It was added to add an affordable category for a compact-sized car.
- Comes with automatic transmission, as a plus for driving in traffic.
- Its weakness is seating four adults, but two people will do just fine too.
- It has a good high-grade AC for good cooling, whenever on the road.
- Seats are a decent looking texture compared to a cheap vinyl material.
- One of the smallest trunk volumes in this list of options.
The Ford Ecosport has been chosen because some like budget lunches
Those are 5 vehicles that can help you overcome traffic in Manila, if you want to learn more about them, have a look at our in-depth reviews:
- Suzuki APV 2018 review
- Foton Toplander 2018 review
- Mitsubishi Adventure 2017 review
- Honda BR-V 2017 review
- Ford EcoSport 2018 review
Manila traffic has pushed many drivers to the wall and choosing the best cars to be riding when stuck in traffic is the best relief. Imagine going through this tortuous grind every day, and not getting any respite. No one likes it, but a car that eases and allows a relaxed drive is the best option.
Look over this list and see what is preferred then decide. These are no-nonsense choices; only limited by budget and preference. Traffic is not cool but a good car to wait traffic out should be cooler!
Do not forget to visit Philkotse.com for more useful tips and advice on safe driving in the Philippines!
Norjan Ismail Abbas