For those who want to be able to drive in the Philippines, there are several steps you need to take first in order to do so. First is to learn how to operate a vehicle and the second is to acquire a driver’s license.
In getting a driver’s license, there are also steps you have to take. First, it to undergo a practical driving test where you will be assessed by your actual driving ability and the 2nd is a written exam.
For this article, Philkotse.com will offer you, our reader an LTO exam reviewer in English for the written test. This reviewer is based on the one available from the Land Transportation Office itself.
Take note however that on the LTO examination itself, the questions will come in a multiple-choice format and some questions might even be phrased differently.
Regardless, this LTO exam reviewer with answers will still help you sharpen up your knowledge in the necessary dos and don’ts with regards to laws pertaining to driving in the Philippines
Also, take note that this reviewer will include questions from the Professional driver’s exam specifically from the signs identification portion.
I. LTO Exam Reviewer in English: Questions and Answers
1. Traffic jam can be prevented if you:
Answer: Keep opposing lanes open
2. When taking a right turn, you should:
Answer: Stay on the outermost lane, signal your intention to turn right at least 30 meters before you intend to make your turn.
3. When you intend to turn right or left, Signal your intention at least:
Answer: 25 meters before making your turn.
4. At an intersection with a traffic light, you can make a left turn only when:
Answer: The light is green and when there’s a left turn light
5. Signs that are round, inverted triangle or octagonal and with red colored borders are called:
Answer: Regulatory signs
6. Signs that are triangular and with a red colored border are called:
Answer: Caution or warning sign
7. A Solid, double yellow line with a broken white line in-between indicates:
Answer: Absolutely no overtaking
8. On a four-lane road with a single white like you are allowed to:
9. When making a U-turn you should:
Answer: Check for traffic behind you and indicate your intentions to turn with your turn indicators.
10. Graft and corruption in the traffic enforcement system can be eliminated by:
Answer: Self-disciplined drivers who obey traffic rules and regulations.
11. Signs that are round, rectangular with white and blue background colors are called:
Answer: Informative signs
12. A single line with a broken line on a two-lane road is used to indicate that:
Answer: This road has traffic moving in opposite directions
13. What do you do when you approach a pedestrian lane?
Answer: Stop and yield to pedestrians
14. Driving an unregistered motor vehicle is a violation with a fine of:
Answer: Php 10,000
15. How far away should you park from a signalized intersection?
Answer: 5 meters
16. A green light at an intersection means:
Answer: Continue diving and pedestrians are not allowed to cross
17. Steady red light at an intersection means:
Answer: Stop at the designated line
18. Flashing yellow light means:
Answer: Proceed with caution
19. What is the penalty for the first offense of driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol?
Answer: A non-professional driver’s license shall be confiscated and suspended for a period of 12 months upon final conviction by a regular court of law.
20. How much is the fine of a PUV driver who refuses to render his service?
Answer: Php 1,000
>>> Learn more about LTO fines and penalties in the Philippines.
21. What is the punishment of a driver involved in committing a crime?
Answer: Driver’s license is revoked and a fine is incurred
22. How far should your vehicle be from the vehicle you are following?
Answer: 1 car’s length
23. Who do you do when the traffic light turns red?
Answer: Full stop
24. Are we allowed to park within the vicinity of an intersection?
25. Are we allowed to park at the entrance and exit hospitals and fire stations?
26. On a two-lane road, where are you allowed to make a pass/overtake?
Answer: At the left lane
27. In an intersection when the traffic lights and arrow traffic lights are glowing a steady green, what should you do?
Answer: Continue to go straight or continue your turn
28. What is the maximum penalty for driving under the influence?
Answer: Revocation of license
29. If a driver is found to have a fake or counterfeit license, his punishment is?
Answer: Confiscation of fake license and be barred from getting a license for six months and a fine.
30. What must a driver do when driving on wet roads?
Answer: Slow down
31. How should a driver slowdown from traveling at maximum speed?
Answer: Gently apply the brakes with steady pressure
>>> Read more: Speed Limit Law Philippines: Know It, Follow It
32. When another vehicle is following you too closely, you should:
Answer: Slow down and give him space to pass you
33. How do we avoid rear-end crashes
Answer: By practicing “distancia amigo” or the 3-second rule
34. When parking on a steep incline without a curb you should:
Answer: Turn your wheels towards the edge of the road
35. When parking on a steep incline facing downhill you should:
Answer: Turn your wheels towards the direction of the curb.
36. When parking on a steep incline facing uphill you should:
Answer: Turn your wheels away from the curb
37. Improper braking on a wet and slippery road can cause your vehicle to:
Answer: Skid and you might also lose control
38. Whenever you’re trying to overtake or pass we should avoid doing so while:
39. Where should we position our field of view while driving on a highway?
Answer: About 12 seconds beyond the front of your vehicle
40. What should a driver do when approaching a blind curve during the daytime?
Answer: Blow your horn
41. What should a driver do with his/her gearbox when driving downhill?
Answer: Shift to a low gear to engage an engine braking action.
42. On the highway, when you indent to drive on a slow speed. Which lane should you use?
Answer: The outermost lane
43. How do you prevent drowsiness while driving?
Answer: Stop periodically for rest.
44. What documents do you always need to have with you when driving your car?
Answer: Your driver’s license, your vehicle’s certificate of registration and the official receipt.
45. If another vehicle enters the intersection at the same time as you do from the right, what do you do?
46. From which direction should you look when backing up in a straight line?
Answer: From the right
47. If you are planning to turn left you must:
Answer: Yield to approaching vehicle before doing your turn
48. Why is it dangerous to overtake another vehicle when approaching a bridge?
Answer: Vehicles passing on the other lane might not see you.
49. When coming across an Accident-Prone Area sign, what should you do?
Answer: Slow down and be more alert than usual.
50. It refers to standardized tests to initially assess and determine intoxication:
Answer: Field Sobriety Test
51. It refers to the measurement of alcohol in a person’s bloodstream:
Answer: Blood Alcohol Concentration or BAC
52. How much BAC is allowed for a driver of a motor vehicle?
53. It refers to any land transportation vehicles propelled by any power other than muscle power:
Answer: Motor Vehicle
54. If a driver is under medication, he should:
Answer: Consult first with a doctor about possible side effects before driving
55. When doing group rides with other motorcycles, a group must assume what formation?
Answer: Staggered formation
56. How far should a parked vehicle be from a fire hydrant?
Answer: 5 meters
57. Before moving you another lane, a driver must first use his:
Answer: Turn signals
58. What do diamond-shaped signs intend to convey?
59. A single solid yellow line on the road means:
Answer: Overtaking or passing is prohibited
60. How much time does a temporary operator’s permit give to an apprehended motor vehicle driver?
Answer: 72 hours
61. When are we allowed to do double parking?
62. When involved in an accident, what should a driver do?
Answer: Immediately inform the nearest police station and call the nearest emergency service if injuries were incurred.
63. What does it mean if a driver’s arm is outside a vehicle’s window and outstretched?
Answer: The driver intends to do a left turn.
64. What does it mean if a driver’s arm is outside and bend pointing upwards?
Answer: The driver intends to do a right turn
65. What does it mean if a driver’s arm is outside and pointing down?
Answer: The driver intends to stop.
66. When are we allowed to overtake on the right side of your vehicle?
Answer: If the road has two or more lanes going in one direction
67. Before leaving your parking spot we should:
Answer: Look around first
68. A non-professional driver’s license is suited for:
Answer: Private vehicles
69. How long should we take a look at our side and rear view mirrors?
70. After overtaking another vehicle, a driver going back to his original lane should:
Answer: Use the rear view mirror to check the vehicle you have overtaken.
71. What is the minimum age to be allowed to apply for a non-professional driver’s license?
Answer: 18 years old
72. At an intersection without a stop sign, a driver should:
Answer: Stop and then proceed if there is no danger
73. Being able to obtain a driver’s license is a:
74. You are allowed to overtake on a highway with two lanes and if:
Answer: It has a broken yellow line
75. It is more dangerous to turn left than to turn right because:
Answer: You have to be aware and cautious from vehicles coming from left or right sides of the road.
>>> Click here for the Tagalog version of this LTO Exam Reviewer.
II. LTO Traffic Signs & Their Meanings
|Drivers must stop at the designated stop line also no parking within 6 meters|
|Give way and yield to vehicles on the right side of the intersection|
|Those with the intention to get left must give way to other vehicles first|
|No parking, designated bus stop|
|No parking, designated Jeepney stop|
|Keep the intersection clear and no stopping or parking at anytime|
|No Entry for all types of vehicles|
|These signs indicate directions motorists have to follow|
|Speed Limits (Maximum Speed)|
|End of Speed limit|
|Speed Limit (Minimum Speed)|
>>> Also check: A drivers' guide to the traffic signal lights in the Philippines
III. Final words and additional tips
This reviewer that Philkotse.com is based on the supplied LTO driving exam reviewer available from their website. Remember however that the questions and answer choices on the actual exam may be different.
Regardless, this reviewer covers General driving knowledge, road positioning, parking, road signs and lane markers and of course what to do in emergencies.
Aside from this, there are also some things you might want to remember or we recommend you do before taking the test:
- Enroll in a driving school beforehand.
- Come early to avoid long lines and wait times
- Be ready with all your necessary documents
- Bring spare change for photocopy services
- Try to go in non-peak working days like Thursday or Wednesday
- Be polite and be friendly with the examiner. A smile can go a long way.
- LTO Driver's License Requirements and Limitations Jun 19, 2019
- Smart Driving School Review: Must-read tips for would-be Pinoy drivers Apr 19, 2019
- What to do when you fail your LTO driving test in the Philippines? Mar 29, 2019
- Simple Guides every candidate should know to pass the LTO Driving Test Jul 10, 2018
- What Philippines Students need to do to get LTO Student Driver’s License Jun 23, 2018