Motorists are advised to brace for increased traffic congestion in various areas around Metro Manila, as the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has announced that it will be undertaking various improvement activities in 19 intersections.
The MMDA will be undertaking various traffic improvement measures in 19 Metro Manila intersections
Chief among these is the traffic signalization project, which entails the installation of traffic lights at 50 new warranted intersections. These will be integrated to the Traffic Signal Control System at the agency’s New Command Center. The project is part of the MMDA’s traffic signal system upgrades under its Intelligent Transport System, which is being implemented through 2022.
Other activities include the installation of new LED lights at the covered intersections, as well as the rehabilitation of sidewalk areas and the placement of necessary lane markings for road users.
- MMDA wants street lamps fixed along major thoroughfares
- Abalos wants elevated bus ramps, new motorcycle lanes on EDSA
You may want to prepare for the inevitable heavy traffic that will ensue
The following shows the full list of road works that the agency will conduct in affected areas, along with the schedules.
Daytime (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- Excavation and restoration of sidewalks, installation of footings and handholes at Deparo-Susano and Zapote-Camarin intersections in Caloocan City (January 25 to January 31)
- Installation of lanterns at Xavierville Ave. – E. Abada St. in Quezon City (January 27) and Blumentritt – Sto Tomas in Manila (January 28)
- Installation of signal cables at M. Almeda – C. Almeda in Pateros (January 29)
Nighttime (10 p.m. - 5 a.m.)
- Road works at Deparo-Susano intersection in Caloocan City (January 25 to January 31)
- Restoration works at Deparo-Susano and Zapote – Camarin intersections in Caloocan City (January 25 to January 31)
- Application of lane markings at Alabang-Zapote Road-Quirino Ave. (under flyover) in Las Pinas City (January 25 to January 27)
- Application of lane markings at Alabang-Zapote Road-Manila Times (Mitsubishi Motors) in Las Pinas City (January 27 to January 29)
- Application of lane markings at Alabang-Zapote Road- Palace (Southland) in Las Pinas City (January 29 to January 31)
- Loop activities at Alabang Palace and Concha in Las Pinas City (January 25 to January 26)
- Loop activities at SM Sucat and Amvil in Las Pinas City (January 26 to January 27)
- Loop activities at TESDA and Armstrong in Paranaque City (January 27 to January 28)
- Loop activities at B. Morcilla - M. Almeda in Pateros (January 29 to January 30)
- Loop activities at M. Almeda - C. Almeda in Pateros (January 29-January 30)
- Installation of poles at Xavierville Ave. - E. Abada St. in Quezon City (January 25)
- Installation of poles at Blumentritt - Sto. Tomas in Manila (January 26)
Keep abreast of the latest traffic updates at Philkotse.com.
Joseph Paolo Estabillo