MMDA suspends modified number coding until further notice

Updated Jun 08, 2020 | Same topic: Latest Traffic Updates

The announcement was made on Sunday afternoon.

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced that the modified number coding scheme is suspended yet again due to the limited operations of public transportation. The agency said that the modified number coding scheme will not be implemented until further notice.      

The modified number coding scheme is supposed to be first implemented last June 1, the first day wherein the National Capital Region (NCR) was placed in General Community Quarantine (GCQ).

The said number coding scheme allows coded vehicles to travel if there are two individuals on board. Medical front-liners are also exempted from the modified number scheme. In addition, MMDA says all authorized persons outside residence are excluded from the said scheme.  

EDSA new road layout under GCQ

This is the new normal along EDSA. 

On the other hand, the road layout of Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA) is also modified. EDSA’s innermost lanes are for busses while the middle lane is for private vehicles. The outermost lane is dedicated to cyclists.   

The Department of Transportation (DOTr) said that areas under GCQ, such as Metro Manila, will have two phases. The first phase is from June 1 to 21 while the second phase is from June 22 to 30.

Mode of Transportation for Phase 1 and 2 under GCQ.

The two phases of available public transport under GCQ

>>> Related: LTO reopens branches in NCR, Laguna, Region III under GCQ

Under the first phase, DOTr announced that trains and bus augmentation, taxis, Transportation Network Vehicle Services (TNVS), shuttle service, point-to-point buses, and bicycles will be allowed to operate, with limited passenger capacity.

Of note, provincial busses will not be allowed to enter Metro Manila. 

Additional modes of transport will be allowed in the second phase including Public Utility Buses (PUBs), modern Public Utility Vehicles (PUVs), and UV Express. 

Last week, commuters were left stranded due to the limited availability of public transport as Metro Manila was placed in GCQ.

Despite all the preparations and announcements made by the DOTr, reports stated that commuters had a difficult time reaching their respective destinations due to the limited operations of public transportation.

With this, DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade apologized to the commuting public in regards to what happened. Tugade also said that he and the DOTr did not promise to meet all the requirements needed during the first day of GCQ.

Here at Philkotse.com, we value your interest in the automotive industry. You can visit our website to find out more.

Martin Aguilar

Martin Aguilar

Author

Martin is the Content Editor of Philkotse. His love for cars first started when he got a remote-controlled toy as a birthday present. Then, Martin’s interest in cars was further developed through his family’s humble collection of Japanese cars.

Martin started his writing career as an editorial assistant and writer for various magazines under ABS-CBN Publishing. Before joining Philkotse, Martin was a writer for Autoindustriya then shifted gears in 2017 to become the editor for AutoDeal.

Aside from his interest in cars, Martin loves to read crime-thriller novels, play basketball in the virtual world, eat tapsilog, and go for random road trip adventures.

View more