In the Philippines, your vehicle’s initial registration is effective for three years, which means you will have to apply for LTO registration renewal after 3 years. However, it’s not simple that you just visit the nearest Land Transportation Office (LTO) and have your vehicle renewed. In actual fact, car registration renewal process at LTO is not as quick as you’ve expected and it depends on your vehicle’s license plate.
So, how to renew car registration in LTO? Let’s find out.
Car registration renewal in the Philippines is not as quick as you’ve expected and it requires you mindful preparation
1. When to renew car registration in the Philippines
LTO renewal of car registration is decided by the car’s license plate number. The last digit of the plate number tells you your month of vehicle registration. In detail, 1 stands for January, 2 for February, …, 9 for September and 0 for October. However, please note that registering your car one month in advance is acceptable.
When to renew car registration in the Philippines?
As for the weekly deadline of registration, you may also follow this number scheme but using the 2nd to the last digit (the mid digit) of the plate number instead. Numbers 1, 2, and 3 should be registered on working days from the first to 7th of the month (the 1st week of the month); alternately, 4, 5, and 6 on the 2nd week; 7 and 8 on 3rd week; then lastly, 9 and 0 on the last week of the month.
|Last digit of plate number||Monthly schedule|
|The 2nd to the last digit of plate number||Weekly deadline
(on working days of the month)
|Week 1 = 1 2 3||1 2 3 4 5 6 7|
|Week 2 = 4 5 6||8 9 10 11 12 13 14|
|Week 3 = 7 8||15 16 17 18 19 20 21|
|Week 4 = 9 0||22 up to the last day of the month|
Let’s take the license plate ABC 5678 as a particular instance.
For monthly schedule, the last digit is 8 signifying your vehicle should be registered in August. Meanwhile, 7 is the 2nd to the last digit of your plate number, so you should visit the LTO on the working days of the 3rd week of August (from 15 to 21). If you have to renew this vehicle this year, it will be on August 15, 16, 17, 20 and 21.
Please note that you can definitely register your car one month in advance
All Pinoy motorists must stick to this schedule or LTO car registration renewal will cost you some of your hard-earned money.
2. LTO requirements for renewal of motorcycle registration
There are some LTO requirements for renewal of motorcycle registration that you should strictly comply with. In particular, in order to have your vehicle successfully renewed, you have to fully prepare documents as follows:
- Appropriate Insurance Certificate of Cover (COC)
- Certificate of Emission Compliance (CEC)
- Photocopy of Certificate of Registration (CR) and Official Receipt of payment
- Duly accomplished and approved Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR)
- Taxpayer’s Identification Number
3. LTO car registration renewal fee in 2018
If the initial registration sets you back P1,000, car registration renewal fee in the Philippines in 2018 is P400/category.
LTO car registration renewal fee in the Philippines in 2018 is P400/category
Additionally, if you not abide by the renewal schedule, you may face a P200 weekly fine.
4. Tips for car registration renewal in the Philippines
- Make sure your car is in tip-top condition for the inspection.
- Be early. To avoid long lines, it is advised that you should show up at the LTO before 8 a.m.
- Remember to keep your early-warning device in the trunk and prepare loose change for the photocopier.
- Always hold on your receipts and documents to avoid delaying the process
- Never pay LTO officers or fixers to quicken the LTO car registration renewal process.
- LTO penalty for expired registration: P10,000. More details can be found in our Complete list of LTO fines and penalties for common violations.
To avoid long lines, it is advised that you should show up at the LTO before 8 a.m
Philkotse.com hopes this post have suggested helpful tips so that Pinoy motorists could experience a quick and stress-free car registration renewal process at LTO. If you have any other recommendations regarding this, please also let us know.
>>> You might also concern:
- How to verify plate number in LTO online in the Philippines
- What Philippines Students need to do to get LTO Student Driver’s License
- Find a LTO renewal center: Complete list of LTO branches in Metro Manila Feb 21, 2019
- For Filipinos Abroad: 7 Steps to Get Your Renewal of Driver’s License Done Sep 10, 2018
- 6 tips to get your driver license renewal done in PH with least hassle Sep 05, 2018
- Car registration renewal in the Philippines: Everything you should know Apr 12, 2018