Nowadays, scams and fraud are already widespread. There are lots of scammers from different fields, even in towing. Towing scams are now a threat to car owners. These scams make it harder for drivers to trust other people or towing company.
Towing scams often prey those stranded drivers. They use different strategies to take advantage in case a vulnerable roadside situation happens. They will do anything just to extract and get as much money as they can to the victim.
1. 4 popular types of tow scams
Type #1: Tow truck drivers with perfect timing
Type #2: Tow truck drivers always recommend their shops
Type #3: Some scammers pay for towing opportunities
Type #4: Scammers take your car as the hostage
2. Tips to avoid tow scams
Know who is helping you
Don’t share your insurance information
Know your car insurance coverage
Write it down
Don’t ever let any towing company serve or tow your vehicle without an agreed-upon price that is written unless the car insurance will cover the total cost of the tow. You might see to trust the towing personnel’s words, however, there is no guarantee that they will stick to what they told you.
As a result, like the documents required for the prevention of car scammers, having a written document will give you an assurance that they will not charge other fees other than what you have agreed upon.
Read the fine print
- 5 common car insurance scams and how to avoid them Apr 01, 2019
- Every driver’s rights and must-dos during a car accident in the Philippines Sep 19, 2019
- [Scam Buyer Alert] Protecting Yourself from Potential Fraud Car Buyers in the Philippines Jul 27, 2018
- Which is the best car insurance company in the Philippines? Aug 04, 2020
- 9 most common scams to avoid when buying cars in the Philippines Aug 04, 2020