The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has announced that the truck ban will be temporarily lifted for the duration of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in Metro Manila from August 6 to 20.
Trucks will be allowed on the road for the duration of the ECQ period
According to MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos, this is to ensure that deliveries of essential goods will continue, as the National Capital Region (NCR) returns to the highest lockdown classification following reports on rising cases of the more contagious COVID-19 Delta variant.
“Ang truck ban ay sinususpinde muna namin para ‘yung mga essential goods na papasok sa kalakhang Maynila ay mai-deliver kaagad,” Abalos said in a televised public briefing.
(We are suspending the truck ban in the meantime so that essential goods coming into Metro Manila can be promptly delivered)
MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos says that delivery of essential goods must remain unhampered
“Dahil ECQ, kinakailangan talaga mabilis ang mga trucks galing probinsya na may essential goods, kaya papayagan na natin kaya suspended ang truck ban,” he added.
(Because of the ECQ declaration, trucks carrying essential goods from the provinces cannot be delayed, that’s why we are allowing the suspension of the truck ban)
Metro Manila and neighboring areas, collectively known as the NCR Plus bubble, were previously placed under ECQ from March 29 to April 4, 2021. The truck ban was also suspended during this time, although trucks were still banned from plying the entire stretch of EDSA.
Public transportation will also continue at current capacities for commuters
Abalos noted that the Unified Vehicle Volume Reduction Program (UVVRP) or the number coding scheme remains suspended in Metro Manila. The MMDA lifted the regulation scheme in March 2020 in response to the initial lockdowns implemented. This was replaced by a modified coding scheme in June that year exempting vehicles driven by health workers. Cars with at least one passenger on board were also allowed, as long as occupants wore face masks and observed physical distancing.
Metro Manila is currently under a general community quarantine (GCQ) classification until August 5. The DOTr assures commuters that public transportation will continue in current capacities for the duration of ECQ, subject to stricter monitoring by authorities.
There’s no ban on our traffic updates at Philkotse.com.
Joseph Paolo Estabillo