1. Announcement on the closure of Marcos Bridge along Marcos Highway
Effective May 4, 2019, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will close a portion of the Marcos Bridge which is located along the Marcos Highway.
The part to be closed for much-needed repairs is the eastbound portion which is slated to take up to four months. After that, the westbound side will also be closed for another four months.
Marcos Highway Bridge to be closed for repair – MMDA
According to MMDA records and monitoring, the bridge sees a very high volume of vehicles both private and public and as such is a crucial road which many uses not only serving as a path to other parts of Metro Manila like from Cubao to Antipolo and vice-versa, a portion of the said bridge is also used to access SM City Marikina.
The SM Marikina flyover/access way which leads towards Marcos Bridge
Despite its very heavy use, the bridge is quite old and is in need of rehabilitation as it is already more than 30 years old and was initially finished back in 1979. As such, it is also revealed by the MMDA that private contractors have already been trying to schedule the said repairs.
MMDA general manager Jojo Garcia has also noted that the adjustment to the truck ban from the 7 AM to 10 AM window to a 6 AM to 10 AM window of allowance has provided some measure of difficulty is closing down the bridge.
For the meantime, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority has told motorists on their way to Cubao to utilize instead of the SM Marikina service road while those on their way to Antipolo may still use the westbound portion of the Marcos Bridge.
As of now, the MMDA has already placed signs along the bridge and the highway to inform motorists of the said changes.
2. Alternative route
Listed below are the alternative route as provided by the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority.
- From Cubao, follow Aurora Boulevard then A Boni Flyover, straight ahead Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
- From Cubao, follow Aurora Boulevard then right turn to Katipunan Avenue, left turn to Boni Serrano, and take FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo.
- From Cubao, take a right to the 15th Avenue, then left to Boni Serrano, then take the FVR Road straight to Macapagal Bridge then Marcos Highway to Antipolo.
Thousands of motorists use the Marcos Bridge every day
Trucks taking Cubao-Antipolo route
- From Cubao, take Aurora Boulevard, then right turn to Katipunan Avenue and left turn to Boni Serrano then U-turn to C5 Road, straight to FVR Road, take Macapagal Bridge then Sumulong Highway to Antipolo.
- From Antipolo, take Sumulong Highway to A Bonifacio Avenue and then straight ahead to Aurora Boulevard and then to Cubao.
- From Antipolo, take the Marcos Highway and then take a right towards Fernando Avenue. Then pass through A Bonifacio Avenue and then follow Aurora Boulevard to Cubao.
- From Antipolo, take the Marcos Highway then pass through FVR Road. Take a right towards Katipunan Avenue, then a left towards Aurora Boulevard and then straight to Cubao.
- From Antipolo, take the Marcos Highway and then the FVR Road. Ahead take Boni Serrano Avenue and then take a right turn to 20th Avenue and then a left to Aurora Boulevard, to Cubao.
For trucks taking the Antipolo-Cubao route
- From Antipolo, take Marcos Highway then straight on the FVR Road. Take a right towards Katipunan Avenue, and then a left towards Aurora Boulevard and then head straight to Cubao.
>>> Click here to keep updated with the latest automotive news in the Philippines.
Cesar G.B. Miguel