The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has ordered car brands in the Philippines to stop the imposition of safeguard duty on imported passenger cars (PCs) and light commercial vehicles (LCVs). DTI Secretary Ramon Lopez signed the order halting safeguard duty last August 6, 2021.
2021 Honda City Sedan RS
As a review, the DTI imposed a provisional safeguard duty or tariff in the form of a cash bond amounting to Php 70,000 per unit for imported PCs, and Php 110,000 per unit for imported LCVs.
Lopez previously said that the imposition of the safeguard duty on imported cars was the agency’s response to the petition filed by the Philippine Metalworkers Alliance. The safeguard duties were seen as necessary to protect the local or domestic motor vehicle manufacturing industry. The DTI decided to suspend the safeguard duty since the Tariff Commission said that it is no longer necessary.
With that, car brands in the country, such as Honda Cars Philippines, Inc. (HCPI), have started to roll out their respective guidelines as to how customers can claim the safeguard duty refunds.
HCPI released its guidelines as to how an individual can claim the refund of the provisional safeguard deposit cash bond. The car brand said that customers may start to process their refund request starting today, August 16, 2021.
2021 Honda CR-V Gas
Of note, individuals can process their Honda safeguard tariff refund at home. Here are the steps, and requirements needed as per HCPI:
1. Customers may download the Safeguard Refund Form online through: https://bit.ly/3m4dwEr
2. A complete Safeguard Refund Form, along with attached requirements must be submitted to dealers.
- Signed and accomplished Safeguard Refund Form
- Acknowledgement / collection / provisional receipt
- Vehicle sales invoice
- Vehicle’s official receipt and certificate of registration
- One (1) valid government-issued identification card
- For those who prefer to receive their refund via bank deposit instead of cheque, customers must indicate their bank details in the Safeguard Refund Form. Otherwise, refund release will automatically be in actual cheque for claiming at the dealership.
3. The dealer shall validate the requirements and form of the customer. If eligible for Safeguard Refund, customers will be receiving an update from their dealership of transaction that their refund is for processing.
4. Once the refund has been processed and approved, the dealer shall contact the customer once the Safeguard Refund is ready for release, either for deposit or for cheque release at the dealership.
5. Upon claiming the refund, customers must bring the original documents for verification. For health, safety, and security purposes, online process and verification may be applied by dealer and customers as well.
HCPI added that the following requirements are needed if an authorized representative will be the one to claim the refund for the customer:
- One government-issued ID of representative
- Signed and dated authorization from customer
- Proof of relation to registered vehicle owners
Visit Philkotse.com for more automotive news, and car reviews.
Know more about Honda
Car enthusiasts in the country are lucky to have a wide variety of Honda passenger cars, MPV, SUV, and vans offered by the HCPI. Some of the most popular Honda models are the Honda Civic, Honda City, Honda Jazz, Honda Accord, Honda CRV, Honda BRV, and Honda Odyssey. You can visit Philkotse.com to know more about Honda models, available promos, as well as the latest news, reviews, updaters specs, and other information on the website.