Do you know that gadgets can cause distractions that lead to a large number of accidents? Knowing the causes and reasons will help in reducing them from happening. Look through our article on Philkotse.com to learn how to drive safely.
1. What is distracted driving?
Driving is an activity that needs our full attention to keep the focus on the road! Accidents and minor road mishaps will result if it is ignored. If any amount of attention taken away, even for a moment then it's not safe. Most roads are busy anywhere with many cars and this doubles the need for vigilance, and keep everything in focus.
Driving is an activity that needs our full attention to keep the focus on the road
Among the deadliest activities that are very serious when driving is “distracted driving”, many have perished in vehicular accidents because of this. It's nothing to take for granted but do any other activity that takes your eyes off the road, should be avoided. Activities like chatting on the mobile, texting, tinkering with the infotainment system must be done when the car has stopped. Safe driving is doing it smartly, not tinker with mobiles or the center console!
Drivers aren’t safe with gadgets when driving because of less focus on the road more than ever. These devices need a free hand; to use it, using voice commands is a good option but it does not work all the time! Wireless devices and in-car gadgets need taps and a swipe to use them. Distractions caused by these gadgets are unavoidable but can be managed! With new in-car technology and handy gadgets that make it important to prioritize, the most important tasks to do.
2. Can driving distractions be minimized while driving?
There are several distractions to manage while driving and keeps driver safe while on the wheel. These simple rules will keep many away from accidents and trouble too! They come in three categories relevant types which should be noted!
2.1. Visual distractions - Eyes on the road!
To avoid these problems; you’ll need to be alert at all times no matter what. Avoid visual distractions that draw away more attention than usual, online movies and other videos shown on mobiles or touchscreen consoles that should be far away from the driver!
Most mobile phones, GPS, and touchscreen are the potential visual distractions that grab attention while driving
Most mobile phones, GPS, and touchscreen are the potential visual distractions that grab attention while driving. Try to avoid looking at them and look at the road instead.
Keep mobile on silent and use a blue tooth headset or earphones, but never fidget or check your mobile while driving.
2.2. Manual Distractions - Hands always on the wheel not fidgeting about!
At all times, just forget about the phone or the car’s touchscreen, because it is dangerous to mess with anything else but the control and the wheel.
Check all seat adjustments and other things before the car moves. Keeping eyes on anything else while the car is moving is an invite for an accident to happen!
While driving avoid reaching out for items, just ask someone to give it instead or pull over to get it.
While driving avoid reaching out for items, just ask someone to give it instead or pull over to get it
2.3. Mental Distractions - Driving is all about focusing on the road, nothing else.
Good drivers focus on defensive driving and avoid other mental distractions!
Keep all mental focus on the road, avoid talking on the mobile unless necessary to do so! Avoid using the touchscreen consoles or gadgets that need some degree of attention, keep all focus on driving tasks!
Good drivers focus on defensive driving and avoid other mental distractions
3. Why are gadgets like touchscreens unsafe for drivers?
The invention of gadgets and inclusion of infotainment touch screens are why drivers aren’t safe with gadgets when driving; something has to be done to address this danger that has become invisible. Here are 10 reasons why it’s unsafe for drivers.
- The introduction of touchscreens in cars, everyday use of portable gadgets has created a new dynamic for drivers. Drivers have to multi-task and learn to deal with more distractions like the touchscreen and the mobile phone.
- As a rule, you don’t take your eyes of the road, but touchscreen consoles have found their way into the cabin and forces drivers to develop new habits dictated by this new technology.
- Touchscreens and mobiles have integrated some functions into the console, unlike before when twisting a dial or pressing a switch is enough.
- This interface used for many functions that goes beyond the usual dials and analog switches like before. The touchscreen console is an infotainment center as well, and links devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth seamlessly.
The invention of gadgets and inclusion of infotainment touch screens are why drivers aren’t safe with gadgets when driving
- With older models you just need to look at the center-console with indicators, one in a while touching the Aircon control or other functions when needed. No need to be distracted because the controls are simple and intuitive to use.
- New technologies like multi-media and internet connectivity for a new generation of drivers is finding use for current car models. They are interactive and this will take away attention from driving.
- More vehicles are equipped vehicles with infotainment touchscreen consoles, that changes how we interact with the controls and how we allocate our attention to do the necessary steps when driving.
- Old analogue controls like simple indicators like small LED screens on the instrument panels are better. Digital screen can be complicated to use and has a bit of learning curve to it.
- To get the info, a few taps or gestures may be needed but it distracts compared to just simple switches, dials or buttons on the instrument panel.
- Some car functions are activated on the touchscreen, but that depends on the particular model mostly.
All these will lead to distracted driving and all “new in-car tech” is unnecessary too. Most drivers aren’t safe with gadgets because they don’t focus all the attention on driving!
4. In a nutshell: Distracted driving
Driving is about laser-like focus and drivers aren’t safe with gadgets when driving, too many distractions can’t be avoided like the plague. The only way to counter is to follow these tips and information to do that. A simple rule to follow is to minimize using mobiles and other gadgets only when necessary, so there will be no distraction and get home in one-piece without incident.
Norjan Ismail Abbas